We’re all in this social distancing thing together and the struggle to stay home is real…. but all it takes is a change in perspective and this could turn out to be quite a not-so-bad necessity… Because ‘if you can’t change your circumstances, change your attitude about them’, right? And plus, our well being (both physical and mental) are most IMPORTANT here!
I had just written a post about things to do with kids at this time when we’re home 24/7 and in this post I did say that I personally am trying to embrace this and enjoy the time I get to spend with my family, because under no other circumstances would I have been at home for two weeks straight (or three or more, however long it takes)… So, below I compiled a list of things to do to 1) take your mind off the fact that all of this is happening out there in the world and 2) make sure you stay sane and well:
1. Call / FaceTime your family and friends regularly, even a few times a day! And try to have a good laugh with them while you’re at it
2. Research and try a few new recipes! I know I want to do that, for sure! Because most of the time I’ll Pinterest something I’d like to try and never actually try it… now’s the time!
3. Speaking of above, bake something. I am not a baker but would love to be 🙂 I just tried baking this galette last Sunday off of a Pinterest account I follow! The recipe called for cherries but I used strawberries and blueberries instead. It came out not as pretty looking haha but it was SO delicious and I felt so proud for trying it!
4. Clean out your closet off winter stuff and make room for those spring/ summer items.
5. Related to above – put away the things you no longer need/ want and DONATE to your local Salvation Army or a thrift shop after it’s safe to do so.
6. Organize… whatever your heart desires. I’m sure you have that one (or more) drawers or cabinets in the house that is that oh-just-shove-it-there drawer that literally has everything in there and the kitchen sink… so it’s time to finally clean it out.
7. Organize the kids’ closet (for all you mommas out there)! I know I have to put away my kids’ winter stuff and donate later (see point 5 above).
8. Read a book, or one, or two! I am always behind on reading and I have so much less time now to read so that is something I REALLY want to do.
9. Find a way to exercise at home, I know I have to, especially with all the snacking that is happening over here LOL! Plenty of fitness trainers/ gyms/ or your favorite fitness bloggers offer virtual classes now (via Facebook or Instagram) so really the options are endless!
10. Take on a new hobby… or that one you’ve had in the back of your head forever but you never gave it a try? Like knitting, cooking, baking, writing, tapping into your graphic design skills, etc.
11. Garden! Over the years, I have become such a lover of spending time in my garden and caring for the flowers and plants. Things are finally starting to sprout around here and I can’t wait to be outside more in my garden.
12. Speaking of gardening… plan a veggie garden for this season (if you have the space). We have such huge plans for this season in terms of planting our own veggies. So we are spending this time now researching good options for us and what will work in our backyard.
13. Tackle a home a project that has been on that list of yours forever, like re-painting a bathroom cabinet or framing those photos that have been sitting there forever doing nothing but collecting dust!
14. Meditate or try yoga. You know now is the time to really try and do something for the soul… to stay calm and stress free as much as possible. My husband meditates everyday and he’s always been encouraging me to do the same 🙂
15. Watching TV… I know… not the best one but in my defense there are so many AMAZING movies and shows out there. I know I have a long list of things I wanted to watch and NEVER had the time for before.
16. Pamper yourself because you deserve it! Do a mani/ pedi or slap on that face mask!
17. Research those dreamy destinations that are on your travel bucket list even if you think you won’t be able to go there soon. Does NOT matter… researching is part of the fun!
18. Organize and clean out your jewelry drawer (or the whole cabinet!). I know I have to do it… I am not the best at organizing those things. I mean… I know where everything is but it’s a total chaos! I am always jealous of those posts I see on the ‘gram of these fabulously organized drawers of jewelry and accessories and I am like… what? LOL! Need to go through my stuff and again, DONATE, DONATE, DONATE or shower my friends with items I don’t need anymore!
19. Listen to some new music! Just like with trying new recipes, I am all for trying to venture out and listen to new music! Music is forever present in my life and I love discovering new artists and new genres!
20. Take a moment everyday to stretch! Even if that’s the only thing you’ll do that’s remotely related to exercising… it should be stretching!
21. Be grateful and if it helps, try writing down one thing everyday that you are grateful for! If you are safe and sound and have a roof over your head and food on your table – that means you have MORE than the MAJORITY of the world’s population. Let that sink in for a moment… Everyday, before bedtime, I think about how grateful and appreciative I am of this family of mine and our health because ultimately that’s all that matters!